Mold Allergy Post Natural Disaster:
The symptoms of mold allergy are similar to symptoms of any other allergy. They can include symptoms such as stuffy or runny nose, irritated eyes, coughing, wheezing, or skin irritation. Outdoor molds may cause seasonal symptoms, and indoor molds may cause year-round symptoms. Periods of flooding are high risk times for mold development. The most critical factor in preventing mold growth is controlling the moisture in your home.
How to prevent mold growth post flooding:
- Try to clean up and dry out the building as quickly as possible (preferably within 24-48 hours)
- Remove all porous items that have been wet for more than 48 hours and that cannot be thoroughly cleaned and dried. (These include items such as carpeting and carpet padding, upholstery, wallpaper, drywall, floor and ceiling tiles, insulation material, some clothing, leather, paper, wood, and food)
- If possible, reduce indoor humidity below 50% (ideally below 30%)
What to do about mold that is already present:
- One of the biggest steps in fixing mold is determining the size of the problem. If the area covers more than 10 square feet, you would likely benefit from professional help.
- If there is mold growth in your home, you need to both clean up the mold and fix any water leaks or problems.
- A 10% bleach solution (1 part bleach, 9 parts water) can be used to remove any visible mold growth from hard surfaces. You can also use a stiff or rough brush on rough surface materials such as concrete to help.
- If you are using bleach to clean surfaces, make sure to open windows and doors to provide fresh air
- NEVER mix bleach containing product with ammonia
- Wear non-porous gloves, protective eye wear, and an N 95 mask
Just following a few of the above tips may help prevent worsening of damage to your homes.
Please be safe and for any medical issues that you may have developed due to mold exposure, such as cough, rash, or congestion, come in and schedule an appointment with us at Vital Allergy & Asthma Center.
We are always happy to take care of our fellow Houstonians, especially during this difficult time of transition as we recover from the effects of Hurricane Harvey. Together at Vital Allergy & Asthma Center we are HOUSTON STRONG!!